TRF strongly believes in the mentorship for early career researchers to help them realize their full potential and accelerate their career development.
This page features a collection of articles, talks and other resources to aid early career researchers with decision-making e.g. which labs to choose, making the most of your PhD/postdoc, writing good papers or robust code, making successful grant applications, academic networking, building a lab, maintaining a work-life balance amongst other things.
We have also featured interviews from distinguished timing researchers for the benefit of the entire timing community.
If you would like to share any useful resources to be featured on this page, please contact us.
Alon U (2009) How to choose a good scientific problem. Mol Cell 35:726–728.
- Akil H, Balice-Gordon R, Cardozo DL, Koroshetz W, Posey Norris SM, Sherer T, Sherman SM, Thiels E (2016) Neuroscience Training for the 21st Century. Neuron 90:917–926.
Joëls M, Hoogenraad CC, Poirazi P, Di Luca M (2015) The Hitchhiker’s Guide to a Neuroscience Career. Neuron 86:613–616.
- Litt B (2015) Engineering the next generation of brain scientists. Neuron 86:16–20.
Osborne JM et al. (2014) Ten Simple Rules for Effective Computational Research. PLoS Comput Biol 10:e1003506.
- Marino J, Stefan MI, Blackford S (2014) Ten Simple Rules for Finishing Your PhD. PLoS Comput Biol 10:e1003954
Barres BA (2013) How to Pick a Graduate Advisor. Neuron 80:275–279.
Gu J, Bourne PE (2007) Ten Simple Rules for Graduate Students. PLoS Comput Biol 3:e229.
Bourne PE, Friedberg I (2006) Ten Simple Rules for Selecting a Postdoctoral Position. PLoS Computational Biology 2:e121.
- Krater J – The Art of Grantsmanship.
- NIH Grant Writing Tips Sheets.
Bourne PE, Chalupa LM (2006) Ten Simple Rules for Getting Grants. PLoS Computational Biology 2:e12.
Writing & Talks
- Alon U (2009) How to give a good talk. Mol Cell 36:165–167.
- Pautasso M (2013) Ten Simple Rules for Writing a Literature Review. PLoS Computational Biology 9:e1003149.
- Erren TC, Bourne PE (2007) Ten Simple Rules for a Good Poster Presentation. PLoS Computational Biology 3:e102.
Mensh B, Kording K (2017) Ten Simple Rules for Structuring Papers. PLoS Computational Biology 13(11): e1005830
Zhang W (2014) Ten Simple Rules for Writing Research Papers. Bourne PE, ed. PLoS Computational Biology 10:e1003453.
Weinberger CJ, Evans JA, Allesina S (2015) Ten Simple (Empirical) Rules for Writing Science. PLOS Computational Biology 11:e1004205.
- Belin D, Rolls A (2016) Collaboration in neuroscience: the young PI perspective. Eur J Neurosci 43:1123–1127.
Poirazi P, Belin D, Gräff J, Hanganu-Opatz IL, López-Bendito G (2016) Balancing family with a successful career in neuroscience. Eur J Neurosci
Masum H, Rao A, Good BM, Todd MH, Edwards AM, Chan L, Bunin BA, Su AI, Thomas Z, Bourne PE (2013) Ten Simple Rules for Cultivating Open Science and Collaborative Research. PLoS Computational Biology 9:e1003244.
Knapp B et al. (2015) Ten Simple Rules for a Successful Cross-Disciplinary Collaboration. PLOS Computational Biology 11:e1004214.
Alon U (2010) How to Build a Motivated Research Group. Molecular Cell 37:151–152.